What to bring to your appointment:

•Proof of identification
•Social Security Numbers for you, your spouse, and dependents
•Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents
•Wages and earnings statements: Forms W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, etc.
•Form 1095-A (ACA) insurance form.
•Interest and dividends statements from banks, brokerages, etc.
•A copy of last year's tax return
•Bank routing and account numbers
•The amount you paid for childcare and the childcare provider's tax identification number
•Receipts for charitable donations

Which form to file?

There are three versions of the 1040 form for filing your tax return. Which form you should use depends on your tax situation. It's important to file the correct form to ensure that your return is processed quickly.

Form 1040EZ

Form 1040EZ is the simplest form to use, but it allows only the simplest tax returns.
You can file Form 1040EZ if all the following are true:

•Your filing status is single or married filing jointly.
•You are not claiming any dependents.
•You are not claiming any adjustments to gross income.
•You are not claiming any credits other than the Earned Income Credit.
•You and your spouse if filing jointly were under age 65 and are not blind as of January 1, 2014.
•Your taxable income is less than $100,000.
•You do not owe any household employment taxes on wages paid to household employees.
•You are not a debtor in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy case filed after Oct. 16, 2005.

Your income is only from:

•Tips (must be reported in boxes 5 and 7 of Form W-2)
•Unemployment compensation
•Taxable scholarships and fellowship grants
•No more than $1,500 in interest income
•Alaska Permanent Fund dividends

Form 1040A

You can file Form 1040A if all the following are true:

•Your income is only from:
•Wages, salaries, tips
•Interest and ordinary dividends
•Capital gain distributions
•Taxable scholarship and fellowship grants
•Pensions, annuities and IRAs
•Unemployment compensation
•Taxable Social Security and railroad retirement benefits
•Alaska Permanent Fund dividends

Your adjustments to income are only from:

•Educator expenses
•IRA deduction
•Student loan interest deduction
•Tuition and fees deduction
•You do not itemize deductions
•Your taxable income is less than $100,000
•You did not have an alternative minimum tax adjustment on stock acquired from the exercise of an incentive stock option

The only tax credits you claim are:

•Child and Dependent Care Credit
•Elderly or Disabled Credit
•Child Tax Credit
•Additional Child Tax Credit
•Education credits
•Retirement Savings Contribution Credit
•Earned Income Credit
•Adoption Credit

Form 1040

If you do not qualify to file Form 1040EZ or Form 1040A, you will file Form 1040. All types of income, credits, deductions, and taxes can be reported on this form. You must use Form 1040 for any of the following:

•You have self-employment income (including farm income).
•You received $20 or more in unreported tips in any one month.
•You received income as a partner in a partnership, as a shareholder of an S corporation, or as a beneficiary of an estate or trust.
•You received dividends on insurance policies if they exceed the total of all net premiums you paid for the contract.
•Your taxable income is $100,000 or more.
•You itemize deductions.
•Your Form W-2, box 12, shows uncollected tax on tips or group term life insurance.
•Your Form W-2, box 12, shows a code Z.
•You owe excise tax on insider stock compensation from an expatriated corporation.
•You are a debtor in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy case filed after October 16, 2005.
•You have an alternative minimum tax adjustment on stock you acquired from the exercise of an incentive stock option.
•You owe household employment taxes.
•You are claiming the adoption credit or received adoption benefits from an employer.
•You are eligible for the Health Coverage Tax Credit.
•You are an employee and your employer did not withhold Social Security and Medicare tax.
•You had a qualified health savings account funding distribution from your IRA.
•You have a net disaster loss attributable to a federally declared disaster.

What is my filing status?

Determining your filing status is the first step in determining your filing requirements, standard deduction and correct tax. Your filing status will usually be determined by whether you are married or unmarried.

There are five filing statuses:

•Married Filing Jointly
•Married Filing Separately
•Head of Household
•Qualifying Widow(er) with Dependent Child